It’s Wednesday and already a busy week.
Yesterday my SIL had a healthy baby boy and DH and I now have a nephew.
We had a long and (as we described it) ‘weird’ day. Full of the expected joy, jealousy and copious amounts of in-law time. After a 5:45 a.m. wake up call and battling Brooklyn, Manhattan and NJ traffic, we arrived a few minutes after our nephew was born, only to encounter a hospital security guard who was insistent that we not go in until visiting hours. The floor nurse and even his boss gave us clearance, but he stood his ground. Once we made it past him, we spent most of the day hanging out with my brother-in-law, ensuring everyone ate (while SIL was in recovery after her c-section) and then at Target (we just needed a break). Around 4 p.m. we returned to the hospital and SIL was in the room. She was very gracious, clearly glad to see us and insisted that we hold nephew. He’s adorable, perfect and the youngest person I’ve ever held (8 hours old). By 4:30 p.m. we were on the road again, fighting NJ, Manhattan and Brooklyn traffic home. We then decided to make good use of the car and do a big grocery run. So, by 9 p.m. we were eating leftovers on the couch, having returned the car, and watching season 1 of The Wire (yay Netflix). SIL comes home on Friday and we’ll probably go back for a weekend visit.
Had our WTF appointment today and, as expected, RE had no real concrete reason why the FET failed. He walked us through the numbers. Lining, estrogen level, blastocysts – everything looked good. He confirmed that by now, given our ages, health and history, we should have had a positive. We are now in the ‘statistical minority’ — and he doesn’t suspect autoimmune issues. Having never achieved pregnancy, we are also not eligible for recurrent miscarriage testing.
DH and I were both frustrated that RE was simply reacting to our questions, not proactively making suggestions. We peppered him with questions and the upshot is that he recommends we do a medicated FET using the last two blasts from IVF#2.
We’ve used up our lifetime ART funds on our insurance. But, DH’s company just switched to a new carrier and our health advocate (best service EVER) is pretty sure we get to start over again. However, this RE doesn’t take the new insurance.
The clinic’s lab shuts down for two weeks for cleaning over the summer (which we ran into last summer) and so if we want to proceed with the medicated FET we would need to start in 2 weeks. Not likely that we’ll have all of our ducks in a row by then, which means if we go forward with a medicated FET, it won’t be until mid-July and it may not be with this clinic due to the insurance situation.
The only real positive was that he was helpful when we asked what he thought about getting a second opinion (which we were already going to do) and even offered a suggestion at NYU and to make a call on our behalf. He’s also going to bring our case up with the rest of the doctors in the practice at their May meeting. Perhaps 8 heads are better than one?
So where does that leave us?
We’re going to get at least one more opinion (likely NYU and perhaps also a doctor that L., my acupuncturist recommended) and have requested all of our medical records.
We’re going to proceed with the adoption pre-certification.
We’re going to book an appointment with the therapist we’ve seen sporadically.
We’re going to keep taking my temps, timing intercourse, praying, hoping, wishing and supporting each other.
Now, off to eat dinner and prepare for a client meeting in Westchester tomorrow.
Read Full Post »